Sunday, May 15, 2011

i may be back..

i apologize to anyone that may care about my lack of blogging.  i got burned out, and I ran out of things to talk about.  Which, if you know me, you know that is impossible to imagine.

However, couple of things have happened lately that warrant a post.  One, potty training.  Two, food intake, and Three, the kid sleeps with us.

Before you have kids you think you know how you will do things.  First, my kids were going to eat vegetables.  (ha) Secondly, under no circumstance will the kids sleep with me.

I've failed at both.  Truth be told, I can't remember the last time Will ate something other than pizza or shells and cheese.  I bought Jessica Seinfield's book about hiding the vegetables to find out that if you actually have children, you don't have enough time to puree all this junk.  Really? I leave at 7:30a and return at 5pm.  Vegetable pureeing isn't making it on my short list, or my long one for that matter.

I haven't really jumped all the way into potty training, I just bought underoos because they are so darn cute.  He wears them, and then pee pees on the floor.  I bought him a Scooby Doo potty seat, and he really likes to sit on it and spit in the toilet.  no pee pee in the potty quite yet.  Whatever.  He won't attend Harvard in diapers.

I'm pretty laid back when it comes to parenting.  I'm not into books, charts of the "average kid" or anything like that.  No kid is average, and I think that just puts unnecessary pressure on everyone. My brother was in the same grade with me growing up, and I would always get so frustrated with him because he was effortlessly smart.  My dad always said "he is smart as a whip, but he can't play the piano like you can." Every kid is different, and they do things at their own time, and in their own way.  I'm not going to take the "what your child should be doing now"sheet from the pediatrician's office and treasure it like the Bible.  It's just not my style.

With that being said, I'm not a fan of the kid sleeping with me for 2 reasons:

1) he's up to late for a 2 year old
2) he steals covers

I would be lying if I said that waking up at 2am to him playing with my hair isn't the most precious and wonderful thing in the world.  But him being in there is not doing anyone any favors.  Short of chaining him to his buzz woody bed, I can't figure out how to get him to stay in there.  I know, I know.. consistency.  I mentioned before that I am a busy mom, and walking him back to his bed 13 times in one night isn't my idea of a productive evening.  Plus, I've done it and it hasn't worked.

I have until Labor Day to break him of diapers, mama's bed, and his bee bee.  It will be an eventful summer, and one that will for sure include a few grey hairs.

ciao.

3 comments:

  1. Girl! You just wrote the blog of my life! Going through the same stuff -even down to the buzz woody bed! Lol
    I've been spending min 1 hr sitting beside his bed til he goes to sleep then he wakes up in the middle of the night & comes into our room. I cave & let him sleep with us. But at least we get SOME mommy/daddy time. Lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for coming back. I have been experiencing the conflict of "she's only little for a short time" vs. "bad habits are hard to break." I really think wine is the only true solution. Wish we lived closer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh yeah- I keep thinking, "there will be a day when he won't touch me. why am I i a hurry to kick him out of the cuddle fest?? "

    ReplyDelete