Sunday, January 23, 2011

scrub a dub

Any mom knows that trying to shower when your kids are around is a nightmare.  Now that Will is a little older he looks at me funny and its starting to make me uncomfortable. I don't know what age I need to stop changing in front of him, but I'm guessing that pointing and laughing at my butt is a subtle sign that it's almost that time.

When I need to get ready on the weekends, I lock my kids in my room with me, turn on Nick Jr, and jump in the shower.  This works for the big one.  He goes into a trance as soon as anything animated comes on.  The little one (who is currently pulling at my pants leg screaming) is not phased by the TV.  So I jump in the shower, and he stands at the glass door banging at me and doing that whine/cry thing. I try and speed up my normal 20 minute shower, and it never fails that I forget something.  Lately, I have been noticing that I have dried conditioner in the folds of my ears.

I couldn't handle it today. I grabbed him- stripped him down and took him in with me. He needed a bath anyway, so I thought that he may like it.  Not so much.

He screamed the whole time (no, the water wasn't too hot) and I tried to wash my hair with one hand. Meanwhile, my left arm was about to fall out from trying to hold an extremely slippery baby. It was literally spasming because it had never been exposed to that much exercise.

I don't work out. Well, I have before, and I intend to do it again some day, but I'm not really consistent in the world of physical activity. My workout today was taking the stairs 4 times.

Needless to say, it didn't go well.  I skipped conditioner all together, and I now have a frizzy puff on top of my head.  He is squeaky clean and smelling of lavender and looking adorable as usual. I look like hell.

The next problem I normally have is drying my hair and doing my makeup. It takes almost 30 minutes to dry all of my hair.  There is a ton of it, and I try not to do it that often, but about every other day it has to be done.  Sometimes if I'm lucky, the kids will play on the floor and watch me or TV, but lately this hasn't been the case.  They have been wanting to sit on the counter in front of me and watch themselves, and slobber up my mirror, turn on my faucet, and chew on my somewhat expensive make up brushes.  The big one brushes his teeth with my toothbrush and toothpaste, and is probably over loaded on fluoride. Whatever- its called picking your battles.  You can eat my toothpaste if you leave my mascara alone.

This used to really stress me out.  After all, I try and keep my things in their place, and when the kids and I leave the bathroom it looks like a tornado went through it.  If they aren't in the bathroom, they are in my closet pulling out all  of my shoes.  Thing I don't get is they never ever touch John's stuff. EVER.

So in my quest to lead a more peaceful and stress free life, I am trying to not let this get under my skin.  I've decided I don't need to go back into my bathroom until this evening, and avoid the whole mess.


2 comments:

  1. Im so glad I have a girl! I admit it addy totally showers with me, which she actually loves and makeup is her favorite past time. She is constantly coming out of the bathroom with brown eyeshadow streaked across her face! The only thing that drives me crazy is that she is constantly dropping my powder and shattering it all over the floor! Boys would be so much more difficult, especially the showering issue! as my mom says, this too shall pass!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also found conditioner in my ears as I walked out the door with Jack in my hands...totally a mom thing!

    ReplyDelete