Wednesday, January 19, 2011

a change in the making

Those that know me well know that I will hear a song, fall in love with it, and listen to it a billion times.  "A change in the making" by Addison Road, and a conversation with a friend got me thinking today. 

Why are we obsessed with aging? Why is it so terrible? I know some of you are cursing my 28 year old self under your breath, but I really don't understand what the big deal is.  I don't get it.  I was talking to a college friend the other day, and she is upset about her upcoming 30th birthday. She said that once this happens, she will be 40, and then it won't be long before she is dead. ha!

yeah. she was for real! (sorry I called you out, T) Why are we teaching our children this? It is like complaining all day Sunday about having to go to work on Monday. It's a waste of a perfectly good day.  I've never been one of those people that looks back on high school and college and wishes they could go back. I can't help but think that the most fun is ahead.

 I've admitted that I have no idea what I'm doing in my life, I have totally had my fair share of confusion and struggle. But I'm trying to figure it out day by day- just like everyone else.  I heard on TV today "Age is God's promise that we still have more to offer to the world."  What a wonderful reason.

No matter what age you are, you have a purpose. What an honor! There are always new ways to grow and learn, and to teach and give.  I think about "A letter to my 18 year old self" and I realize that in 10 years, when I am 38, I may have advice to give to a young mother that is balancing a billion things and trying to stay sane.  Kind of like I am now. However, I have no idea what I would say.

Maybe I should start with "don't throw away Will's newborn clothes just yet. You will be pregnant again in 2 seconds."

In all seriousness, and in my very young and naive opinion, age is not something to fear, but a gift.

I hope to be always be growing and evolving, and when I am at a point where I'm not I think I'll be in big trouble.  I am a wiser and more confident woman than I was 3 years ago.  Being a mother and wife has made me stronger in every aspect of my life. However, it is also my biggest challenge.  There are days when I am positive that I am not centered, and I have to take a moment for me and be conscious of where I am, and regroup. The beauty in this is that I learn each time how to do it differently because each situation is different.  I am becoming more efficient at realigning myself to be where I need to be, to be a better person for all those around me and for myself.

I still have moments where I am completely frazzled and clueless, but being present and conscious of those around me and myself (that is the hardest part) is the big lesson I have started to learn in my 20's.

I am not a techy, so I couldn't figure out how to get the clip on this blog- so I have included the link below to a slideshow type thing with the song.  I hope you enjoy it, and I hope that it causes you to explore where you are like it did me.

Click here to listen to "a change in the making" by Addison Road.

ciao.

No comments:

Post a Comment