Monday, January 24, 2011

can i schedule a time to schedule you in?

So I have mentioned that life is crazy being a working mother.  Tonight I had one hour with my kids, and then I had to go to a meeting.  Thank goodness the big one was awake when I got home and I could play with him for a bit before he went down.  Thank goodness he didn't remember that Woody's head had again fallen off and he was on top of the refrigerator "in surgery".

As far as chores go, I got nothing accomplished today.  I take that back, I actually rescheduled 5 appointments for myself and kids because I can't leave work for them like I used to.  Another thank goodness- thank goodness my good friend is the office manager at the pediatricians office.  She has promised that BuzzWoody will be playing upon our arrival, and we were guaranteed the latest appointment. It's hard to take these two anywhere together. The big one is uncontrollable, and the little one wants to crawl.  I find it hard to manage both stages at once. I have the monkey leash for Will (as if) and the sling for Luke.  In a perfect world this will work. I'm sure in my world it will end with me having a monkey tail wrapped around my legs, a baby dangling from a sling, and a knock on the door from child services.

But here I sit, and I can't help but feel like I got nothing accomplished today, and I feel guilty about it.  Laundry is still piled up. The kids clothes, while clean, are still in baskets.  I don't have a clue what I will wear to work tomorrow, partly because I don't know what is clean, and partly because I own only 2 pair of socks, and I'm pretty sure they are both dirty. I imagine I could turn them inside out or wear John's size 12 ones. It has been known to happen. If you tuck the toe in you don't really notice all that much.

My hope for tonight is that I remember to wash my face and set my alarm, and dream of a day when I don't have baby food crusted on my left shoulder, and boogers on my pant legs.

Or maybe it's not.   I think that there is a faint scent of bliss in this stage of life. Maybe that is why everyone says it goes by so fast- we are too busy to just sit back and observe.

My good friend sent me an email about the Bible study I am currently in (and behind on) and it was a blurb from Rick Warren about how to focus your day, and how your quiet time should and can be in the morning.

Rick Warren is a man.  I respect him completely-he is totally inspirational, but he is, in fact, a man. Its like a male OB telling you how labor feels.  Quiet time before the kids get up seems impossible.

My first thought was 'I can totally do this. It will help me get on the treadmill. I can do my Bible study while walking.' light bulb!!!

And then it actually hit me! I missed the whole point. The point is to focus.  How else can we truly get the most out of what we are doing? Whether it's a a short term Bible study or your life, the goal is to focus and appreciate the moment.  That is how you get the most out of it.

 I currently suck at this.

ciao.


random but totally cute pic of my big baby.

1 comment:

  1. Because I enjoy your blog so much, I've tagged you with the Stylish Blog Award :). Check out my post today to accept!

    ReplyDelete