Wednesday, January 12, 2011

A letter to my 18 year old self

I have a babysitter that I adore, and she is leaving me for OU in the fall. I am terribly upset about this, as my children love her.  However, it got me thinking, what would I do over? What did I do right? What would I tell myself if I could go back? So, I decided to write a letter to my 18 year old self. 




Dear 18 year old me,


Your life will change more in the next 10 years than it will for the rest of your life. You will go to college, marry the love of your life, and have those children that you have been dreaming of since you were little.  You will have your heart broken, you will be filled with happiness, and totally confused all at the same time. 


I know that you will listen to me, cause I am really cool like that, and you will want to be like me when you are my age.


It is your senior year, and you probably still unsure about where you are supposed to go to college.  you don't know it, but this choice will determine the rest of your life.  I hate to say that to an 18 year old, but it will.  It will shape you into the person that you are going to be, and give you experiences that are beyond your wildest dreams. Hint- pick orange. Choosing your best friend to be your roommate is not a bad idea.  She is still as close 10 years later, and she will stand by your side on your wedding day. 


Don't eat biscuits and gravy from the Virtual Bean every day.  You will get fat and create bad habits. Go with Jennifer to the gym, and start using wrinkle cream.  QUIT SMOKING. It is disgusting. And no, you won't quit when you have children.  That's a bogus excuse. Don't tan either.  You don't want to trade 5 years of looking great for a lifetime of looking like hell.


You can still be proud of bonging three beers at the same time on Big/Little night.  You still are ten years later.


Napster isn't as great as it sounds. Besides the fact that its stealing, its giving you some awesome viruses on your weak PC. Enron isn't really a great investment idea either, but that's beside the point.


Try and study a little more (school really isn't "free"), and don't drop out of the music program. Screw all those orchestra snobs.  If they want to wear black dresses and play in symphonies forever, let them.  It's okay you don't sing opera, and don't let a snotty blond haired teacher tell you otherwise. 
Write the kind of music you want to write. Stand up for yourself.


Continue to be a good girl like you were taught to be. Boys have bad intentions. Most all of them.  This tall kid will come around in about 4 years and he will be different.  He will take your breath away and make your belly hurt from laughing so hard.  You will decide to share your life with him, and it will be the best decision you will ever make. You will continue to laugh more than you ever thought was normal, and maybe it isn't, but it sure makes life fun.


You know how mom always makes you get the bikinis with the thick sides? Don't yell at her for it.  She's right.  Showing less is way more attractive in any situation. 


Treasure your friends. As you grow up they end up being more like your family. And although girls may be catty, you will find a group of women that you admire and adore, and they will be there for you during some of life's wackier moments. They will be vocal about your strengths, and candid about your weaknesses.  Trust what they say and you just may grow to be a much cooler person than you currently think that you are. 


Listen more than you talk.  After all, you have only one mouth, but 2 ears, and 2 eyes, therefore you should listen and observe twice as much as you speak. This continues to be a problem as you age. 


Be present.  As Sarah Palin says, "there is no dress rehearsal- this is the real deal." And it is.  Be present in your everyday life or moments just may pass you by faster than you can imagine. 


It's a fun ride, and it really is a wonderful time in your life.  Treasure each moment you think that you have no idea what in the world you are doing, cause I've come to the conclusion that no one does no matter how old you are. It's just getting started, and it gets even better. 


Love, J


ciao.


**if you are wondering why the entire post is highlighted in white, I am too. :)

5 comments:

  1. I have tears streaming down my face.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Also, I want you to change one of your font colors.....the lime green is cute, but really hard to read.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't figure out how. I'm in a transition and will hopefully have some different stuff coming up, so we have to deal with green for now. :) xo kissy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've never been an 18 year old girl so I can't relate to everything. But... this is still really good stuff. Seriously. Really good.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Eric! That's why I chose you to be my boyfriend at the Learning Tree.

    ReplyDelete