Monday, January 10, 2011

10 things no one told me about marrying a giant

Our little Florida bungalow. tear. 
So, my 5th anniversary is rapidly approaching. I was thinking about how much we have experienced in these five years, including doubling the size of our family.  I have thought about the three times that we moved and how in each house we have lived in we have experienced major life changes.  In Florida, we were newlyweds, so take what you want from that- its blissful and we wanted to kill each other all at the same time. The first year is an experience I would never take back.  For a woman that has no patience, God definitely instilled some in me during that year.  When you don't live together before marriage (only way to go in my personal belief) you get to know each other all over again, and in a different light. I've learned to put my hairdryer up after every use, and he has learned that if the sheets aren't tucked in just how I like I will make him get out of bed at 3am and help me remake it.  I once had the sheets so tight that he literally broke his toe trying to kick them loose.  I will never live that down.

When we first moved home we fought the fertility battle, and beat it down, and in this last home we have had two remarkable children.  I have heard an incredible amount of unsolicited advice from many people since that diamond has had a presence on my finger, but no one NO ONE could have prepared me for this.

I married a giant. 
I promise my pants were cool when I took this.

I am 5'2, and somewhat petite.  My husband is 6'5, and slender.  One day I actually made him lift me up to his eye level and carry me around the kitchen, and things really do look different.  Really different. Here are my top ten things (in no particular order) that I have found most interesting about my situation so far. 

1) Register for a step stool. And a ladder.

2) You will never have a foot board on your bed.

3) You will never have interchangeable vehicles.  Meaning, I can't drive his truck because I can't see over the steering wheel, and he can't drive my SUV cause his head hits the roof and he looks like big bird.

4) When remodeling a kitchen or building, exclude all upper cabinets.  I have climbed in the sink and accidentally stepped in the garbage disposal. 

5) Photos: I must stand on an object or all pictures include John's whole body, and just my head at the bottom. 
Example- looks like we are same height.  I actually had to rent  a crane to lift me up.

6) Light fixtures cannot hang in the air unless above a table or another object.  Also, watch out for lights over bathroom mirror.  Mine was shattered today when he was changing his shirt. 

7) Old Navy big and tall.  ALWAYS on clearance.  Since you can't buy his length in any store, this comes in handy. 

8) HOWEVER, Gap is terrible for tall men. (But great for petite women)  Shirts are short and wide. So, and XXL hits him at his belt, and our whole family could fit in it. 

9) When you can't find something, its almost always on top of the refrigerator. 

10) Any favor where a tall person is needed he is asked, and no, he doesn't want to play on a basketball team.  Sorry, folks. :) 

That is everything that would have been useful 5 years ago.  When I was little, my family used to make me scale up cabinets like a spider monkey to retrieve items that they couldn't reach.  I also had to crawl under things, and on trips I had to sleep on the floor of the van.  Why? Cause I was small. It was a bugger of the grandest sort. So I can only imagine the annoyance John feels when someone asks him to reach for something or to hang something for him, but he is generally a great sport.  I have also relaxed because I know in a few short years, I will have little spider monkey's of my own that I can send into crevices to retrieve lost items.

And now my mind has drifted to when they can do chores... ahhhh...

Lastly, I am not a huge sports fan.  I love Oklahoma State athletics with my whole heart, but I must admit I have been out of it since having kids.  I have been watching a little more football recently, and it has to be said-- I don't care who wins the national championship, but I think the pretty trophy should go to the best dressed.  Dear Oregon, I would like a football helmet. Coolest. Ever. OSU could for sure make our orange that obnoxious.  Get on it, T Boone.

Ciao. 









1 comment:

  1. #3 - John hunches while driving my mazda 3, he really enjoys it. #5 - who knew pictures would be so difficult!! Women with husbands under 6 feet just don't know our pain.

    ReplyDelete