Monday, November 29, 2010

Got my mind on my closet, and my closet on my mind.

So I was getting ready for church yesterday, and I couldn't find anything that I wanted to wear. I had to read in front of the church, and so there is always a chance that I would trip- so I had to have on something cute, right?  Wrong. I had to wear all black cause I couldn't find anything that wasn't a wrinkled mess.  Why? Cause my clothes are PACKED in my shoebox closet that I share with my husband. Why do I share? Cause I'm not as mean as I used to be when we first go hitched- when I put his clothes in the guestroom.  God bless that man.

Right when I left for church I told John that I was cleaning house when we got home. Bigtime. He was so excited he offered to take it all to Goodwill for me.

I am not in college. Forever 21 needs to have a limited presence in my wardrobe.  I am not a geek either, so the mid rise Old Navy jeans that I thought I needed cause I have 2 kids also went bye bye. I bagged clothes that I have had for like 10 years. I wish I would have thought to take pictures, but descriptive writing is all I have to offer.

Maternity bridesmaids dress? WHY DO I HAVE THIS? Sorry Turie, it was beautiful, but I'm not wearing it again. That was just one of three bridesmaids dresses. Sorry ladies, but let's get real. I found jeans that are 1 foot too long, and I have had them for 3 years. I'm obviously not getting them hemmed. So long! See ya!  Shoes, belts, purses, and the Gucci skirt I got in Milan 10 years ago. (Yeah mags, I had to let it go. I can't get it over my calves.) SEVEN LEAF BAGS, FOLKS. Seven. 7!!! John has called TLC to enter my story to "Hoarders".

It was such a nice experience that I highly suggest. I felt cleansed and renewed with a new sense of organization. Now, if I am truly honest with myself I can say that I'm sure it won't last. BUT, I am going to try and keep the cycle going by doing the boys' closet's next. You know that is a sacrifice because those clothes are too precious, and when your baby wears 9-12 months, it's time to get rid of the newborn clothes. Maybe. Truthfully, I'm saving them to make a quilt, cause I sew and all.  (insert sarcasm)

So, wish me luck as I trudge up the stairs with a Hefty cinch sack in one hand, and Kleenex in the other. 

Remember- a cluttered house = a cluttered mind.

4 comments:

  1. Cleaning out anything in your house is such an amazing feeling. =) It really does make people feel renewed. Love it. =) I hope you do okay when you work on the boys' closets. Just so you know I work with a quilt maker so if you do decide to go that route I can help you out. Good Luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My oldest baby is 6 and a half and I just went through a box of her baby stuff today. Still hard, but every time I thin it a little more. Let's face it...she is not going to dress her kids in stuff she wore as a baby...regardless of how precious I think it is now. And old binkies...gross. (But they are still in the box.) I think I still have one pair of pants that Grandpa bought me...he died in 2000...ooh, I have a sweater from Grandma! I don't wear them though. I still have the crib bedding for both kids...who will not even fit in a crib. WHY?! Maybe we can be on a special family edition of Hoarders...my mom can join us.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lol! There is a difference in keeping things that hold sentimental value, and those that are junk. Binkies are junk. :) I would have a hard time getting rid of those too though. :( critty- will has on andrews jammies tonight. breezy- I am saving outfits that I just love from their first year (some are the same) and want to make two quilts, one for each boy, and give them to them when they get married. That's if I can part with them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your darling blog! Oh, how I can relate with this post. We spent the last week moving and I have come to the same conclusion...if you don't feel fabulous in it, toss it. And, if you find a "must have", you'll have room! Sadly, I can't do the same with my kids clothes. If they were gifts, I just can't get rid of them!

    ReplyDelete