Thursday, November 18, 2010

Deck the halls, and your husband.

It's time to decorate for Christmas. It's time to send a miffed John into the attic for all my junk so I can attempt to make the house look somewhat festive. Should I do it myself? I have this image of listening to Amy Grant Christmas and drinking spiked egg nog (of course) while my family and I decorate the house. John hasn't bought into it quite yet. It really is a pretty ridiculous dream, so I am vowing this year to do it by myself with cheer in my heart and happiness on my face, no matter what.

Do you know my sister? She's pretty much the most incredible Christmas hoarder in the entire universe. She has like 1500 square feet in her house dedicated to Christmas storage (ok- slight exaggeration). She started with a passion for Radko ornaments when she was 20. TWENTY. She was on the home tour in our town at 23. TWENTY THREE. She started decorating her house weeks ago. IN OCTOBER.

At 20 I was illegally at Murphy's drinking beer. At 23 I was about to get married, and I still loved beer. This past October I was getting pumpkins stolen off my front porch (I'm sure the punk kids were drinking beer.) Needless to say, any attempt at my really decorating was wiped out long ago. So really, the pressure to be great is entirely off. And- I get hand me downs. Its really a win win, I don't understand Radko and villages anyway, and I don't understand massive amounts of sparkle either, she teaches me about the importance of these objects. Apparently everything must have a little shimmer in order to be truly Christmasy. I'm learning. 

What she hasn't taught me is how incredibly hard it is to decorate with a 2 year old thinking that your incredibly expensive Santa belongs in a bucket with Buzz Lightyear.  

So tonight I will embark on many firsts. The first time I am taking my princess self in the attic. The first time I will try to stay up past Will and still be productive. I will take pictures chronicling this experience.

It may require wine.

Ciao.

2 comments:

  1. I wish I could come and drink wine and watch you decorate :-) You do a great job. I was there two years ago and your decorations make my stuff look pathetic. Seriously, I have a knitted christmas tree that fits over a two-litter pop bottle that Mike makes me put up every year because some great aunt made it. It's real classy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Umm I'm pretty sure I remember you posting a BEAUTIFUL picture of REAL garland last year!!! Maybe I'm wrong, but I am 99% sure it was you, who says you have no decorating skills! I honestly didn't even know there was such thing as REAL garland til I saw your picture...isn't that super sad, I just have the fake stuff. I too am decorating idiot, I have all my mom's hand-me-downs too and I love it. Mike doesn't help out either, but I love the same dream you do! Happy decorating!

    ReplyDelete